My Photo
Name:
Location: London, England, United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

United 93

Disclaimer: The following article may offend people. If you are an American who is easily offended (particularly with regard to Septemeber the 11th) DO NOT READ ON. You have been warned.











For those of you that don't know, United 93 is the name of a film that is going to be released in America fairly soon. What's it about? September the 11th 2001, what many would call a sensitive subject. Why anyone would want to make a film about it I don't know, but someone did, so fair enough.

Recently, a few cinemas in America pulled the trailer for United 93 after it shocked audiences who saw it. When I read about this, I was, of course, interested to see what all the fuss was about. So, this afternoon, I went to look for the trailer. I just found it, and watched it. It seems fairly standard stuff. Perhaps they're using some artistic licence in showing what happened on the plane (United 93 was one of the hijacked planes). In fact, from what I coudl tell from the trailer, the whole film looks like artistic licence.

What also struck me was how unaffected I was. It didn't shock me, at all. OK, I'm not American, so maybe that's a factor. Having said that, if someone made a film about the 7th of July bombings (and, let's be honest, why would they?), I don't think I'd be affected at all.

So, what does this all mean, Americans are overly sensitive? No, I'm not going to say that. What I am going to say is this: Get over it. The attacks happened nearly five years ago, you've paid your respects, you have remembered, you're not likely to forget, so get over it. I could understand that if you had lost family members or friends in the attacks. I owuld expect it if that was the case. But the vast majority of Americans did not lose family members or friends. If you're going to keep acting like this we're never going to make any progress towards peace, and you'll be playing into the Repubilcan's hands (I'm not entirely convinced that Bush et al. actually want peace).

Anyway, that's my opinion. You must form your own opinions and judge for yourself, here's a website with the advert:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/united93/

1 Comments:

Blogger CJM said...

True, and we do have millions of films for that sort of thing (Zulu being my personal favourite).

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home